You’re Not Alone in Your Contracting Business

It’s been about a month since I moved my family to Manitou Springs, Colorado. We are just outside of Colorado Springs and so far, we love it.

My new favorite thing to do is hiking. I love getting out on the trails for a couple hours each day and clearing my head. Sometimes I run. Sometimes I just walk. I may do 100 push-ups along the way or try to beat my last time. Whatever I decide out there is always worth it.

I’ve also learned a couple lessons during my short month here that I felt were good for you and your contracting business as well.

Find Your Own Pace

There have been times when I’ve been hauling ass on the trails and feeling like my young 20-something self again. Then, some dude 10 years older than me passes by without any effort! I’m huffing and puffing and he’s smiling and talking with little visible exertion.

The competitor in me (which is 98% of me) gets mad and goes harder. The other 2% of me remembers a time in my first business when I was rarely happy with the company because I was in a constant state of comparison with other companies.

Competing is a good thing and has a place in our businesses. But, if we’re not careful we won’t enjoy the hard-earned wins along the way to whatever goals we’ve set.

On the trail I’m learning to find my pace. I’m more concerned with finding my sweet spot and enjoying the ride.

As you build your contracting business, get clear on what your pace is. Define your own success and avoid comparisons when possible.

It’s Ok to Ask for Help

Being new here, I have no idea where I am half the time. Is it because I’m stupid or incapable of finding my way? Not at all. I’m just new at this.

I frequently need to ask another hiker how to get back to where I came from or what’s up ahead of me on the trail I’m on.

I see so many talented contractors let pride get in the way of asking for help for their businesses. They may need some directions about how to navigate the marketing trails. Or maybe they need help with training their foremen, increasing sales or understanding where they’re at financially.

Whatever ‘trail’ you’re on in your business I can promise you a couple things:

  1. You’re not alone. There are many others out there with you who are walking just ahead or just behind you.
  2. There’s no harm in asking for some advice or directions. It just may save you a ton of time, money or in extreme cases your (business) life.

Regardless of your experience level there will be times when you need a hand in your contracting business. Find your pace, stay humble and enjoy the ride. You never know what lies up ahead!

 

0/5 (0 Reviews)

rECENT